5.26.2011

Thrifty Kitchen Decor

I pulled together some pieces of "art" to hang on the walls in the kitchen that I am super exited to share. I couldn't wait to eat breakfast this morning and can't stop thinking about dinner in our completed kitchen nook...tune in tomorrow!

Message Board...
I envisioned buying a big old frame with a dry erase metal board. I searched garage sales and Goodwill with no luck. I certainly came across some antique store options, but was not willing to spend 35.00. I finally resorted to checking out the frame stock at Michael's Craft Store and planned on making a 20.00 purchase when the Sunday advertisement was released (the sales clerk gave me the heads up:) It was the day before the big purchase, Saturday, I went garage saling with a girlfriend and found this beauty for 7.00! Holla!
I removed the beaten up inside lip and gave it a coat of flat white spray paint, of course.
Then, get this...I really wanted a metal dry erase board in the frame but Home Depot charges 25.00 for the size of metal sheet that I needed. I couldn't do it, so, again, I resorted to chalk board paint (which we already had in our paint stock.) UNTIL...I spotted this white board in our basement...
Perfect size. We  Henry pried it apart and there it was...metal on the other side!!! It was too good to be true. Only, it was true! I tackled the metal with some Goo Gone, Henry backed it with wood and cut it to size. Look it look it look it...

Message Center...
Wait there is more. I am not satisfied with just the world's cutest message board. I also wanted a place to hang messages, pictures and cards. Which is where this old window frame, that I took out of a student's rental house, came in handy. Some students really know the way to my heart.
I knocked out the glass...
Painted the frame (the same as our tiny accent wall), then sandpapered the frame...
and just because we don't have chickens doesn't mean we can't buy their wire...
 I stapled it down and Henry trimmed the edges...
I can clothes pin all kinds of notes onto this message center.
I sure wish someone would send us a greeting card;)


No comments:

Post a Comment